Re: line-move-visual

From: Mark Crispin
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:11:48 -0000

On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Uday S Reddy posted:
Having used Emacs for some 30 years myself, I always expect a few surprises with a new major version of Emacs.

Why should users expect surprises?

It takes me a few months to read through all the change logs and the new manual sections to become comfortable with all the new and changed features.

Why should users - who presumably have work to do - be obliged to do this?

Sometimes when there are significant new features, the old version just stays, because several users are uncomfortable with the new version. The good thing about free software is that you can do that!

Until there is some support issue with the old version, such as a major security bug, and the software developers refuse to fix it - "update that ancient version you stupid idiot."

Reading through the emacs-developers list yesterday,

It's nice that you have time to do that.

I also discovered that there is an Options -> Customize -> New Options menu

I turned off that stupid menu years ago. I need every screen line. I want to use emacs, not MS Word.

As I said before, the line-move-visual setting has been a complex decision for the developers.

And they screwed it up.

This is getting ridiculous. My .emacs file is getting bigger and bigger, not to do any customizations but rather [1] to restore behaviors that some arrogant and irresponsible software developer decided to change; and [2] so that emacs on the dozens of machines I routinely use works the same on each and every one of them for the very basic command set that I use.

It does no good whatsoever to tell me that I should get used to the change. Other machines don't have that change. Some are still in emacs 18. Others are bleeding edge.

I should not have to customize emacs so that CTRL/A, CTRL/E, CTRL/N, and CTRL/P continue to work the way they've done since the mid-1970s.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc