Re: line-move-visual

From: Mark Crispin
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:03 -0000

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010, Thad Floryan posted:
I have. It required hardware from DEC to run it (PDP-10, DEC-20).
I still have a tape of the sources, executables and docs of the
EMACS version 150 but no way to (conveniently) read the tape.

It went up to version 165 or so. You can get a runnable TOPS-20 system under a virtual PDP-10 with EMACS 165 from:

        http://panda.trailing-edge.com/

I have some version of GNU Emacs on every one of the 40+ systems
here and they all operate essentially identically.

I go even further, and have some program called "emacs" (not necessarily GNU emacs) on about the same number of machines. This includes some embedded devices. They all have that property! It's a valuable property.

I daresay that RMS would not recognize some of these "emacs" programs as being emacs; some are very basic programs. But, by golly, if you stick to the basic functional set of command keys they all work the same.

I understand
and agree with Mark Crispin's comments about line-move-visual
and the idiocy of changing the behavior of fundamental keystrokes.

Thank you.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc