Re: Long pauses when opening files and other operations with emacs 23.

From: Keith S.
Subject: Re: Long pauses when opening files and other operations with emacs 23. and windows 7
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:55 -0000

On Jun 17, 3:54 am, Uday S Reddy <uDOTsDOTre...@cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 6/17/2010 4:59 AM, Keith S. wrote:
>

> > Many other people have reported this issue, and several folks have
> > offered advice. For instance, setting w32-get-true-file-attributes was
> > certainly helpful for most of the slowdowns -- that wasn't a bug, but
> > a change that was documented in a very old changelog. And one that
> > most users, including myself, wouldn't have thought to connect with
> > this problem.
>
> > Right now, I think I MAY have further narrowed down the hanging
> > problems with opening files thanks to a clue from this blog post:
> >http://blog.zzamboni.org/solving-hangs-in-emacs-on-windows.
>
> There is an excellent set of diagnostic tools for Windows called sysinternals:
>
>    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545046.aspx
>
> Microsoft bought the company that made these tools and distributes them for
> free.  You can try using them to see what is going on when the hold-ups
> happen.
>
> Cheers,
> Uday

Already did that. Process Monitor clearly shows that it's taking
several seconds to read the file when the delay occurs either on the
file or the directory, but that doesn't help me narrow down what
behavior in emacs is causing it to happen, or why it only happens on
certain files (and even then, it doesn't necessarily happen on that
file if you restart emacs and open it again).