history in *shell*

From: kj
Subject: history in *shell*
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:27:09 -0000

I really like working in *shell* (M-x shell).  I use it constantly,
but one minor annoyance with it is the way it lumps everything into
its history, including commands that were executed within some
other readline-enabled program (e.g. the python interpreter, the
perl debugger, etc.)

Is there a way to customize this behavior so that histories are
kept local to the containing shell?  IOW, the behavior one gets
from a regular terminal.

TIA!

~K

P.S. I'm aware of *eshell* (M-x eshell), and I've noticed that its
handling of histories agrees with what I'm looking for, but years
ago I tried *eshell* for a while, and found myself returning to
*shell*.  I no longer remember the reasons for preferring *shell*
over *eshell* (although, as I just noticed, it does not recognize
Ctrl-D as EOF, which is irritating enough)...  I only remember that
I decided that I could live with *shell*'s annoyances more easily
than with *eshell*'s.