Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: Emacs for mail: VM - WL - GNUS
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:46:49 -0700

On Wed, Nov 24 2010, Richard Riley wrote:

> Jason Earl <jearl@notengoamigos.org> writes:

>>> Thank you very much, Jason.  However, my server is a POP one,
>>> otherwise I guess Gnus would not have been dumb enough to start
>>> downloading my mails and deleting them assuming I knew some bizantine
>>> settings to avoid that beforehand.  Thunderbird may be big and slow,
>>> but at least it does not make such assumptions.
>>>
>>> For a text-based mail-client, I'm looking into Alpine now.
>>
>> It has been a long time since I have used a pop3 client, but when I used
>> to support such beasts downloading the messages (and deleting them from
>> the server) is precisely what they were *supposed* to do.  I would not
>> be surprised if most modern email clients still downloaded the messages
>> and deleted them from the server when using pop3.
>
> I've never had a POP3 client delete from the server when it reads.

I just checked and deleting on pop is the default in both Outlook and
Evolution.  If your server supports IMAP recent versions of Thunderbird
are very hard to set up to do pop3, but I would not be surprised if the
default wasn't to download the messages as well.

> Certainly using Gmail one of the first in your face options is whether
> to retain a copy on the server.

It depends on whether you are talking about Gmail as a pop3 client or a
pop3 server.  If you are talking about google importing your email, they
delete it from the server.  As a pop3 provider google defaults to
keeping your email, but that's basically a googleism.  They are more
than happy to store your stuff forever.

> It's a server side setting normally isn't it?

No, the client tells the server to either delete the message after it is
received or to keep it.  However, early versions of the protocol did not
even have a way to query the server for message-ids.  So if the message
was not deleted then it ended up getting downloaded every time the
client connected.

Keeping the messages on the server is basically why IMAP was invented.

Jason