Re: How to cast an imperative loop into a readable recursive function ?

From: Paul Rubin
Subject: Re: How to cast an imperative loop into a readable recursive function ?
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:17:20 -0800

Katalin Sinkov <lispstylist@gmail.com> writes:
> How to cast an imperative loop into a readable recursive function ?
> What questions to ask to guide thinking to it ?

The functional-programming answer is that you rarely need explicit
recursion.  You can instead usually use higher-order functions like map
and reduce, that are defined in terms of recursion.

Maybe you want to read SICP, if you haven't done so already?

> Here is the concrete problem.
> which is to find the nth character T_n in a string with erratic index
> reset and length of substring given. ie

I'm sorry, I couldn't understand the problem description.