Re: line-move-visual

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:13:16 -0000

,------ Tim X wrote ------
|   For example, how would most of the users feel if every
|   discussion regarding emacs development, even if
|   restricted to discussions that directly impact on
|   basic/core behavior (however that would be defined). was
|   posted to this list? I suspect that many would be
|   irritated as this is supposed to be an emacs help forum,
|   not a discussion forum for developments.

Actually I think that would be a great idea -- I think
that's exactly what ought to be done.  I have read a number
of posts on the devel list discussing the question of how to
communicate with Emacs users about things like proposed
changes to defaults.  Most of the messages on the devel list
would not be relevant here -- only a tiny fraction, and
readers can always ignore threads that don't interest them.
They could have subject lines that were the equivalent of
"[RFC] Blah blah."

I agree that there is a limit to what complaining about it
after the fact can accomplish, but it is also true that most
users can't realistically monitor such a high-traffic, and
generally technical list like emacs-devel.  Posting the
occasional thread here about proposed changes might get
useful feedback, since a lot of people do monitor
gnu.emacs.help.