Re: plugin for standard shortcuts

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: plugin for standard shortcuts
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:58 -0000

,------ const451 wrote ------
|   Is there a plugin that uses standard key shortcuts for
|   text manipulation such as Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z, etc.?
|   I think they are faster to use than the default
|   shortcuts in emacs.

Do you think they are faster to use than the default
bindings in Emacs, or do you mean that they are faster for
you to use at the moment because they are what you are used
to?

In any case,

    M-x cua-mode RET

-- will probably do more or less what you want.  CUA stands
for Common User Interface and was designed by IBM in the
1980s[1].  cua-mode changes some default Emacs bindings to
match CUA standards.  CUA does not scale very well, but is
popular because it is implemented to some degree on
Microsoft operating systems and many people first learned
the idea of doing things with the keyboard in that context.
People tend to stay with what they learn first.

By the way, and just for your information, Emacs users
typically do not call Emacs Lisp packages "plugins."  More
often they call them libraries or packages.  If the code
implements a major or minor mode, they typically call it a
"mode."  They also usually don't use the term "shortcut,"
possibly because that seems to imply some other manner of
input that is privileged over use of the keyboard.  The
phrase "key binding" is more often used, because that is
what you do: you bind a function to a key or key
combination.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Common_User_Access