Re: C interpreter in Lisp/scheme/python

From: Richard Bos
Subject: Re: C interpreter in Lisp/scheme/python
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:17:39 -0000

Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > I propose a vanilla C interpreter.
>
> I think, only someone who hasn't written such a beast can put together
> "vanilla" and "C interpreter" together.

You think wrong. There is no reason to believe it impossible[1] to write
a vanilla C interpreter. In fact, it's probably slightly easier to
ensure that your implementation is _exactly_ vanilla if you make it an
interpreter rather than a compiler.
The real question is whether it's worth the trouble, writing an
interpreter and then only providing vanilla C. Presumably for didactic
reasons it could.

Richard

[1] It's certainly possible to write a C interpreter, because it's been
    done; but I don't know how vanilla they are.