Re: Get char at point

From: AmosBurke
Subject: Re: Get char at point
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:19:06 -0000

On Jul 17, 1:55 am, Harald Hanche-Olsen <han...@math.ntnu.no> wrote:
> + TheFlyingDutchman <zzbba...@aol.com>:
>
> > Is there a function to get the character at point?  I see get-byte,
> > which would work for an ASCII coded file, but I believe Emacs has some
> > support for multi-byte character sets.
>
> If you type C-h f char TAB, you will see a bunch of functions whose
> names begin with "char". Then you might wildly guess that the first hit,
> char-after, is what you are looking for, and if you actually select
> that, the wild guess is confirmed.
>
> --
> * Harald Hanche-Olsen     <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/>
> - It is undesirable to believe a proposition
>   when there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
>   -- Bertrand Russell

Thanks!  I believe I did look at the char* functions. If it had been
named char-at I would have gotten it. It should be noted that the help
for "char-after" says
(char-after &optional POS)

Return character in current buffer at position POS.
POS is an integer or a marker and defaults to point.
If POS is out of range, the value is nil.
The concept of "point" being between characters, was unfortunately
followed in naming the function, and then luckily ignored in the help
for the function.