split buffers

From: Peter Keller
Subject: split buffers
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:19:52 -0000

Hello,

I'm new to emacs, but have been using it for a while to write Lisp.

My question is:

In vim, one can have a tab that is split. When one moves from that tab
to another, both portions of the split tab are replaced by the whole
of the next tab (which in and of itself could be split 0-N times).

In emacs, if I split the buffer with C-x 2, I can only change the
exact buffer I'm in with C-x C-<right arrow> and such.

Is there a way to mimic the split tab behavior in vim with emacs buffers?

Thank you.

-pete