query replace

From: Russ P.
Subject: query replace
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:31:13 -0000

I am in the process of trying to switch from XEmacs to Emacs. I am
confused about how to use query replace in Emacs.

In XEmacs, I go to Edit/Replace, and I get a "query replace" prompt. I
enter the search string, hit return, then enter the replacement
string. It then automatically takes me to each occurrence of the
search string, where I can hit y or n to tell it to replace or not
replace. Or I can hit ! to replace all occurrences at once.

When I do the same thing in Emacs, up to entering the search and
replacement strings, it does nothing. What am I supposed to do to
actually replace occurrences of the search string? Sorry if I am being
dense, but it was so easy in XEmacs. Thanks.

Russ P.