Re: Peculiar behavior of ssh -n in eshell mode

From: elgen
Subject: Re: Peculiar behavior of ssh -n in eshell mode
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:32:33 -0000

On 10-10-19 02:25 AM, Tim X wrote:
elgen<sket16@no.spam.hotmail.com>  writes:

Dear all,

I am reporting the following peculiar behavior. Have one file called

run.sh
======================================
#!/bin/bash
HOST_NAME=windu

ssh -n windu "bash ./windu_mr_mistf.sh"&
=====================================

Have another file on the remote machine. It is called

windu_mr_mistf.sh
================================
echo "show me the money">  ~/output.txt
================================

If I run the command "./run.sh" inside a terminal on the local host, the
output.txt is generated. This is expected.

If I run the command inside the eshell mode inside emacs, I would not receive
the output.txt. Have any experienced this behavior inside emacs?

I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.1 on Ubuntu v10.0.4.

Thank you for sharing any thought.

Unless it has changed, eshell does not play well with redirection of
streams. This is one reason I don't use eshell except for simple
interactive use. I found this out when trying to run a script that did
redirection inside it and was geting inconsistent results when run
inside eshell.

 From memory, this is documented in the eshell manual.

Tim

Thank you for the pointer. The idea of editting command inside eshell is pretty neat. From time to time, it surprises me that comand perfect for a terminal cannot run, e.g.

for ((i=0; i<4; i++)) do echo $i done

elgen