Re: word syntax/umlauts emacs 23 vs 22

From: Ralf Fassel
Subject: Re: word syntax/umlauts emacs 23 vs 22
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:32:37 -0000

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Stefan,
thanks for your patience with this.

| I cannot reproduce it.  What is your LANG/LC_ALL setting?

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

| > I use unibyte in regular use.
>
| How do you tell Emacs to use unibyte?

I just recognized that I had set EMACS_UNIBYTE in the environment.

If I unset this and start /usr/bin/emacs -Q, I get correct word-movement
on Umlauts inserted on a german keyboard.

Now we still have basically all of our files in unibyte encoding, and
the show as M\374ller, with the single-byte Umlauts as escape sequences,
and word-movement stops at the non-ascii char.  I found that if I
customize the latin1-display Variable, they show up as Umlauts, and
word-movement also behaves properly.  Is setting latin1-display the
Right Thing to work with the unibyte files?

Thanks
R'