Changing behavior of backward-word?

From: Johan Json
Subject: Changing behavior of backward-word?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:00 -0000

Hi, newb question coming up..

Is it possible to change the behavior of 'backward-word' (M-b) to
perform 'backward-word' + 'backward-char' (M-b+C-b)?

I saw some elisp examples, but the ones I found relied on finding
whitespace backwards, which breaks the possibility of stepping
backwards in between dots in a list of URLs or email addresses, not
exactly what I am looking for.

I usually define a macro for this which I bind to M-b, but it is a bit
tedious doing every time I reboot GNU Emacs. So, if there is any way
to save the macro + binding for future sessions in .emacs, that would
also do the trick.

Afterthought, would this possibly break other user modes dependant on
key M-b and/or 'backward-word'?

Thanks in advance,
Johan