setting font size

From: Russ P.
Subject: setting font size
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:03 -0000

For several weeks I have been trying to gradually switch over from
XEmacs to Emacs (because a particular application I want to use in
only available for Emacs). I've made the switch on my Red Hat 5
machine at work, but I'm still having problems on my Ubuntu machine at
home (a MacBook running Ubuntu on Virtual Box). I'm using Emacs 23.x
on both machines.

Using the same .emacs file that I use on Red Hat, I get a ridiculously
large font on the Ubuntu Emacs.  The only lines in my .emacs file that
I think could have an effect on font size are these:

(add-hook 'font-lock-mode-hook #'(lambda()(use-local-map nil)))
(custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:size "14pt" :family "Courier 10
Pitch"))) t))
(set-face-attribute 'default nil :family "Courier 10 Pitch")
(set-face-attribute 'default (selected-frame) :height 130)

I've tried commenting them out in every possible combination, and I
still get the oversized font. Can anyone give me a clue about what the
problem might be? Thanks.

Russ P.