Re: word syntax/umlauts emacs 23 vs 22

From: Ralf Fassel
Subject: Re: word syntax/umlauts emacs 23 vs 22
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:29 -0000

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
| > | (prefer-coding-system 'windows-1252)
| > No, those files should not be edited using a windows code page, they
| > are supposed to be latin-1.
>
| Are you saying that this char was an error?

Hard to say.  Windows users insert \200 when they press the Euro sign on
their keybord, Linux users enter \244.  Since we're mostly Linux, the
\244 should be the Euro.

| If not, then it does seem like you want to use windows-1252 (which is
| a perfectly normal coding-system,

Since the Umlauts are at the same positions in latin-9 and windows-1252
we might as well use cp1252, but then the Linux-Euro will get displayed
as a crossed 'o'... well...

I'd say lets end this thread.  We can work with emacs and xemacs again
after re-enabling multibyte mode, and using the proper default
encoding.

Thanks again
R'