emacs display frozen

From: Glen Rubin
Subject: emacs display frozen
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:35:38 -0000

Hi!  I am using latest emacs 23.x on the latest gnome ubuntu.
Sometimes when I am using emacs (esp switching between apps)  the
window will lock up.  I try clicking in a window and typing but to no
avail.  After clicking on one of the options in the toolbar at top
(e.g. file, edit, etc..), the window will unfreeze and let me start
typing again.  Wanted to see if anybody had an idea what might be
wrong, before I went filing bug reports.  thanks!