Emacs and email (again)

From: Stephen Bunn
Subject: Emacs and email (again)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:09:44 +0900

List,

  I know this has been discussed to death and everybody has their own opinion, however, some of the information on the list is really old.  I have been using an external mail reader for some time (thunderbird, claws, etc) and would like to integrate this into my emacs setup.  Specifically what I'm looking for is the following:

* Support for IMAP/Gmail (including domains attached to gmail)
* Fast and Stable
* Ability to setup multiple accounts (with the smarts to know if I'm replying from one address to use a specefic SMTP server)
* Threaded views

So I've quickly looked at GNUS, WL, and VM. All of them seem very complex to setup (I don't know lisp all that well).  So my question would be, which package should I be spending my time learning?