Re: Emacs version and LISP interpretation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs version and LISP interpretation
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 22:54:26 -0500

> So the answer is that you need to change (insert ?\s) to (insert ?\s ).
> That is, leave at least one space after the \s.

No, ?\s is new, so ?\s won't work even if you add a space after it.
The old syntax is ?\  (where the space after the backslash is important).

> I've seen more than one library broken this way (broken for older Emacs
> versions).

We (Emacs maintainers) only changed the code of the files distributed
along with Emacs, so we don't get to introduce such bugs directly.
Of course, some of those changes are then fed back upstream and the
upstream maintainer may either fail to notice the incompatibility
introduced, or consider it to be minor.

        Stefan