RE: diff-mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: diff-mode
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:14:10 -0800

> > See also:
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiffEnhancements
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/diff%2b.el
>
> Sorry but I don't see that much difference in diff+

Sorry, I meant diff-mode-.el, which does deal with highlighting (unlike
diff+.el).  The second link should have been this:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/diff-mode-.el

If it helps, fine.  If not...

> My desire was to see the diff with the syntax
> highlighting of the original language, it it could be
> possible...

diff-mode-.el does not help with that.

For that, you will likely want to (a) visit the buffers/files in the proper mode
with font-locking, and then (b) copy text from there (with faces) to the diff
output buffer.  Or put the other way around: follow each diff from the `diff'
output buffer to a buffer for the original file and copy text (with faces) back
from there.

But that sounds onerous in terms of efficiency.  Remember that `diff' itself
runs and produces its output outside of Emacs.  You need not even be visiting
the diffed files within Emacs.

Why don't you just use `ediff'?  With `ediff' you see the files within Emacs,
font-locked.