Re: default font for Mac, WinXP, and Linux?

From: Andrea Crotti
Subject: Re: default font for Mac, WinXP, and Linux?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:11:37 +0100

unfrostedpoptart <david@therogoffs.com> writes:

> I'm stumped and need advice.  I'm running emacs 23.2.1 on Linux
> (Redhat Enterprise), Windows (XP-SP3), and Mac (OSX 10.6.5).
> I'm trying to use a common .emacs.d/init.el and can't get the default
> font to work across the 3 environments.  I just want them all to come
> up with a nice, fixed-width font.  courier-new would be fine and
> should exist on all the machines.  How do I do this?
>
> On a related note, what variables/functions would be good as
> conditionals if I do need some code only executed on certain
> platforms?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  David

On OSX I think Monaco (which is the default) is the best.
On linux I like Inconsolata and on windows I don't know...
Does it have to be the same font anyway?

In general I also have the same configuration everywhere, but for these
kind of things also using the customization framework and an external
custom file is probably much easier...