RE: Font-lock-faces in Emacs 23.2

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Font-lock-faces in Emacs 23.2
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 08:16:52 -0800

> 1.- M-x customize-group <enter>
> 2.- font-lock-faces <enter>
> 3.- Then move down to the "Font Lock Type Face"...
> 4.- Then change the Foreground entry... to OrangeRed...
> 5.- ...click the <Set for current session> button
>     and the <Save for future sessions button>, reply <yes>...

No need do `Set', since you're doing `Save' (but it doesn't hurt).

> 6.- Exit customize
> Customize has written the following code to my <.emac> file,
> and this is the last statement in my <.emacs> file:
>
> (custom-set-faces...
>  '(dired-header ((t (:inherit default :foreground "OrangeRed"))))
>  '(font-lock-type-face ((t (:foreground "OrangeRed"))))...

Does your .emacs get loaded that far, so that the `customize-set-faces' actually
gets eval'd?  E.g., does the `dired-header' face show up OK?

Font lock is sometimes a bit special. What happens if you customize a different
font-lock face, e.g. `font-lock-doc-face'?  Does that work (for subsequent
sessions)?

Are you sure that the face wasn't in fact customized for future sessions, but
that perhaps font-lock-mode wasn't turned on?  Which color is indicated as the
foreground setting after you start up the second time, if you do `customize-face
RET font-lock-type-face RET' then?

Try (after backing up your .emacs) using a different .emacs that has only this
in it:

(custom-set-faces
  '(font-lock-type-face ((t (:foreground "OrangeRed")))))

If that works, then try commenting out half of your original .emacs (leaving the
`custom-set-faces'), then comment-out 3/4, 7/8, 15/16,... until you find which
part of your init file is interfering.

In sum, play around a little, varying things, to see what you can discover.