Re: default font for Mac, WinXP, and Linux?

From: unfrostedpoptart
Subject: Re: default font for Mac, WinXP, and Linux?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 13:56:03 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 16, 2:40 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 16.12.2010 um 08:52 schrieb unfrostedpoptart:
>
> >> I'm stumped and need advice.  I'm running emacs 23.2.1 on Linux
> >> (Redhat Enterprise), Windows (XP-SP3), and Mac (OSX 10.6.5).
> >> I'm trying to use a common .emacs.d/init.el and can't get the default
> >> font to work across the 3 environments.  I just want them all to come
> >> up with a nice, fixed-width font.  courier-new would be fine and
> >> should exist on all the machines.  How do I do this?
>
> Variables exist: system-type, window-system.
> Lucida Sans Typewriter exists in Java. And Java is everywhere. You
> could also think of TeX. It has Latin Modern, the GNU FreeFonts,
> Inconsolata,...

Thanks for the hints.  I had to do two things in my init.el.  First, I
added these lines:
(if (eq window-system 'x)    (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font
"Lucidatypewriter-10"))  ;; Linux
(if (eq window-system 'w32)  (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font
"Lucida Console-12"))    ;; WinXP
(if (eq window-system 'ns)   (set-face-attribute 'default nil :font
"lucidasanstypewriter-12"))  ;; Mac OSX

I also had to remove the font family and size references in the custom-
set-faces section added by the customize menus.