Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Elena
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 05:10:48 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 21, 12:00 pm, Rajinder Yadav <devguy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i've never had the need to create a makefile or edit one by hand when i
> code using visualstudio, all i care about is coding my project in C++
> and getting on with life.

You don't know what a professional IDE is then, and why Emacs isn't up
to the task.

If you are doing professional C++ development, then you are tweaking
your project settings all the time.  The VC++ Project Settings dialog
is just a wrapper on top of a "Makefile" kind-of generator.  What VC++
does that Emacs doesn't is setting default values which work unless
you have special requirements.  That's why you felt that all you had
to care about was coding your project in C++.  Development in Emacs
does not give such luxury.

> i love ruby on rails hacking, i love doing everything from the command
> line, it's more faster and efficient coding a rails app when compared to
> doing it with netbeans + ide, or whatever IDE is out there!

Obviously, for hobbyists, an IDE is overkill.

I'd really like this madness of recommending Emacs as an IDE to stop.
When programmers hadn't anything better than an editor and/or programs
were simpler, that made sense.  It doesn't make sense anymore.

Again, this is not a fault of Emacs developers: they are not "selling"
Emacs as an IDE,  over-enthusiastic user are doing that.  Such users
are pushing Emacs way beyond what it can handle.