Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:00:46 -0700

On Mon, Dec 20 2010, despen@verizon.net wrote:

> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Monday 20 December 2010 05:47 AM, Andrea Crotti wrote:
>>> Anyway with Cedet you can do a lot of stuff.
>>> It doesn't however generats any makefile, but if you learn to write them
>>> is not time wasted at all...
>>
>> I believe that is incorrect[fn:1]. However I have to say I haven't tried
>> it out, so I can't testify how good/easy it is is to generate
>> Makefiles. On the other hand I have been using CEDET to program within a
>> few C/C++ frameworks, and it seems to work quite well.
>>
>> Footnotes:
>> [fn:1] [[info:ede:Creating%20a%20project][info:ede:Creating a project]]
>
> Hmm, I'd no sooner let a tool create a Makefile, than I'd use a code
> generator to create C++.
>
> I _LIKE_ creating hand worked Makefiles.
>
> I have a lot more targets than just executables.  They're used to
> create documentation and run tests too.

CEDET's EDE stuff can handle documentation targets (and a whole lot
more).  In fact, I even have one small project where it reads my
Automake files directly.

Personally, I think that using CEDET for this stuff has two advantages.
The first is that it can generate a lot of the boilerplate for you.  You
might like generating Makefiles by hand, but that is hardly universal.
EDE generates really nice Makefiles will all sorts of targets that you
probably wouldn't generate yourself.  For example, it will generate
rules to create a distribution of your source, and rules to upload that
source to the project webspace (including updating the hosted
documentation).  The front end for all of this is similar to customize,
and the help strings on the various variables are actually quite
helpful.  It also plays nicely with Automake, and no one professes to
love writing those things by hand :).

The second advantage to using EDE is that it gives Emacs an idea as to
your project structure.  This opens a whole world of opportunities.

If you are using Emacs from bzr it is even easy to get started.  Go to
the "Tools" menu and choose "Project Support (EDE)."

Jason