Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Jason Earl
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:13:50 -0700

On Mon, Dec 20 2010, Rajinder Yadav wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Andrea Crotti
> <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> up to now i've been using emacs for ruby on rails, i want to get setup
>>> so i can also do c/c++ development
>>>
>>> i come from a visualstudio ide background for c++ stuff, how can I
>>> setup emacs to integrate the gnu tool chain, such that i can have
>>> emacs generate makefiles and do the builds
>>>
>>> also how can i get a gui like ide gdb setup for debugging code
>>
>> Why, does visualstudio integrates with the gnu tool chain :O?
>> I guess not, but that's what I understood from your sentences...
>
> no i wanted emacs to integrate with the gnu tool chain
>
>> Anyway with Cedet you can do a lot of stuff.
>> It doesn't however generats any makefile, but if you learn to write them
>> is not time wasted at all...
>
> yes i already have cedet installed and working, but i would rather not
> write makefiles by hand. i understand there is also autoconf that can
> be used to generate makefiles, possible that's a better way to go,
> still i don't feel like investing the time to learn about autoconf at
> this point and time

There's no reason to write Makefiles by hand now that Emacs can do it
for you.  M-x ede-new to create a new project (choose a "Make" project),
then M-x customize-project.  For simple projects it is tons easier than
creating a Makefile by hand, especially considering all of the targets
that EDE gives you for free.

Plus, creating a project teaches Emacs how your project is organized.
Not only does this allow you to easily run the build from inside Emacs,
but it allows you to query and search your files by project as well.

>> Gdb integration works quite well already, the only important
>> parameter for gdb imho is (setq gdb-many-windows t)
>>
>> and then just try something you'll see if you like it.
>
> yes i discovered this gdb setting on the emacs-fu blog, however i have
> 2 questions
>
> 1) when i have EBC opened gdb-many-windows end up looking like a mess,
> is there a way to get it to work with EBC?
>
> 2) i can't figure out how to set breakpoint, can't i simple click
> someone in the source window to add a bp?

I hit C-x <space> in the source window.  There probably is a way to use
the mouse.  To be honest, I don't use the debugger much.  I probably
should.

Jason