Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:52:26 +0100

Rajinder Yadav <devguy.ca@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 21, 12:00 pm, Rajinder Yadav <devguy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> i've never had the need to create a makefile or edit one by hand when i
>>> code using visualstudio, all i care about is coding my project in C++
>>> and getting on with life.
>>
>> You don't know what a professional IDE is then, and why Emacs isn't up
>> to the task.
>
> yes i do, you missed my point
>
>> If you are doing professional C++ development, then you are tweaking
>> your project settings all the time.  The VC++ Project Settings dialog
>> is just a wrapper on top of a "Makefile" kind-of generator.  What VC++
>> does that Emacs doesn't is setting default values which work unless
>> you have special requirements.  That's why you felt that all you had
>> to care about was coding your project in C++.  Development in Emacs
>> does not give such luxury.
>>
>>> i love ruby on rails hacking, i love doing everything from the command
>>> line, it's more faster and efficient coding a rails app when compared to
>>> doing it with netbeans + ide, or whatever IDE is out there!
>>
>> Obviously, for hobbyists, an IDE is overkill.
>
> you're saying ruby on rails is for hobbyists? btw, ide is not an
> overkill, it's just you don't need an ide because rails comes with
> tools like rake and generators that frankly is faster doing thing at
> the command line with a simple text editor and terminal, reason i
> choose emacs to code ruby on rails stuff, i started off with IDE like
> netbeans but it just didn't feel right (for me, for others it's the
> right choice)

Then the IDEs you have used have not been configured IDEs. Its almost
never quicker anymore at the command line in a properly configured
IDE. A lot of people claim it is : invariably those who have not used a
modern IDE. Those things you do at the command line can be hot keyed in
an IDE too. As for "not needing" - do you know what an IDE is? I
actually use emacs as one - weaknesses not withstanding - so I kind of
disagree with Elena about that. Development is a lot more than "coding
in a text editor". Lets see what the IDE brings (and most of what Emacs
can do already and marked appropriately in brackets below):-

Dependency management (poor since I cant get cedet working and dont want
to learn another "project" framework such as EDE)
Context help for all parts of project development. (poor/non existent).
Standardised UI (excellent)
Error code navigation and cross referencing (not bad in Emacs when
compiling in emacs)
Bug tracking (Hmm I use org-mode)
Task prioritisation (org-mode)
Code navigation (awful. Tags are not up to the task for the most part).
Code refactoring (none afaik)
Version management (excellent with Magit).

Emacs is almost there I think. And with what it brings elsewhere I dont
feel I need an IDE - except for Java. Emacs java support is awful from
what I can see.