Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Elena
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:26:05 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 21, 3:06 pm, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crott...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Oh, and makefiles are so old-school.  Upgrade yourself to something
> > more modern an IDE-friendly.
>
> What are you talking about, old-school :D?
>
> Plain makefiles maybe because they're not easily portable, but
> autoconf/cmake are used by I think all from small to huge opensource
> projects.

That's what I was talking about: makefiles are akin to assembly
language, with shell commands being the corresponding machine-
language.  You should be "compiling" an higher-level language (that
is, a language which understands projects: CMake, etc.) to makefiles.

> About the rest, I really don't think an IDE is better/faster than a good
> customized emacs.

That's the problem: every Emacs power user seems to be chasing this
holy grail of a greatly customized Emacs, but I have yet to see a
customized Emacs matching a customized IDE.

> I see how my collegueas work with those IDE and frankly I feel sorry for
> them, and I can do anything twice as fast more or less ;)

That's their fault, not their IDE's.  Comparing an heavily customized
Emacs to a vanilla IDE is not fair.  Moreover, I can edit the same
source file both in Emacs and Visual Studio, and each side is just an
hot-key away.  I use each tool for its intended purpose: the text-
editor (Emacs) to edit text, the code-editor (IDE) to edit code.