Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 13:55:43 +0100

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Indeed it is, and in fact I've not said that.  I've said:
>>
>> IDEs are more effective than editors for software development ->
>> Emacs ships as an editor, not as an IDE ->
>> Building an IDE on top of Emacs is a time-consuming and wheel-
>> reinventing task ->
>> Thuse: use an IDE, and effortlessly switch back and forth it and Emacs
>> if you like.
>>
>> I don't understand why some Emacs users seem to think that every other
>> program can be a tool to Emacs, whilst using Emacs as a tool of a more
>> comprehensive environment is "blasphemy".
>
> - It ships by default with org-mode/calc/games and another thousand
>   things that are not normally in one text editor, who told you it was
>   shipping as an editor?

Because it IS an editor...

> - the time consumed is not yours anyway and for many people is very
>   useful. The fact that all the other IDE stinks is of course a plus
>   ;)

Except they don't. What ones have you used and how do you compare the
programming features they have, which have been listed, to those that
emacs provides? Remember we are talking about the *development* features
: not the text manipulation features which is obviously an area in which
emacs excels.

> - of course, switching back and forth on different programs is veeeeeery
>   productive ;)

What different programs? IDE. "Integrated" development
environment. code, compile, debug, recycle. And all designed to work in
harmony.

This is starting to sound like me not liking emacs and that is not the
case. But uninformed opinions about modern IDEs are pretty worthless
when trying to compare Emacs to the features they provide and possibly
suggest easy reach Emacs improvements which will greatly increase its
attraction to new users.