RE: can a command specify overwrite selection behavior?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: can a command specify overwrite selection behavior?
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 09:00:59 -0800

> Essentially, I read this as a detailed explanation of the way this bug
> is triggered.  If one understands the mechanism of this bug so well,
> why not fix it?  AFAICS, this subroutine is placed in a wrong hook; it
> should be executed later...

What bug?  What subroutine?  What hook?  What should be executed later than
what?

This behavior is _by design_.

Delete-selection mode works by your telling Emacs how you want particular
commands to behave wrt an active region.

In the example, Xah told it to make command `insert-date' delete the active
region before it does its own thing of inserting a date.  Xah did not tell it to
make command `execute-extended-command' delete the active region before it does
its own thing of reading and then invoking a command.

Emacs is just doing what it was told to do.

There are many ways to evaluate a sexp (or invoke a command).  Many of them also
do additional things, besides just evaluating (e.g reading, pretty-printing).
Or they evaluate in different contexts (e.g. interactively or not).

These differences in behavior are _by design_, not bugs.