Re: email with emacs

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: email with emacs
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:25:37 +0100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:
>
>> i'm thinking of doing my email with emacs (using claws-mail right now).
>> i need imap.
>>
>> so far i've looked at
>>
>> nmh - got it to work locally, but don't know how to do imap
>>
>> wl - got imap access (even got it to read gmail), but find things
>> confusing
>>
>> mailutils - don't really know where to start in the documentation
>>
>> any comments on these packages or suggestions on what else to look at?
>
> gnus

But be prepared to learn elisp and pull your hair out ;) Gnus is
great. But you almost need to know it before you can get it to
work. Kind of a vicious circle at times - especially when it comes to
spam filtering and splitting. But Gnus is uber-powerful and brilliant
and is worth sticking with.

Gnus has come along a lot recently with regard to imap handling. If you
are using Linux I would really recommend a local dovecot IMAP server and
feed that using an offlineimap configuration. Particularly handy when
you use multiple PCs. It's a great subset of knowledge you will pick up.
Possibly that can be done in Windows too but I don't know.

Some things to look up to wet your appetite:-

topic
gnus-posting-styles
splitting
Agent

And of course it being inside emacs all the other benefits of it being
hosted or part of Mother Emacs.