Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap

From: ken
Subject: Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 08:59:13 -0500

On 12/27/2010 03:12 AM Richard Riley wrote:
> Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:
>
>> Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@eku.edu> writes:
>>
>>> Indicate that I need to set up a local IMAP server to get gnus working.
>> Why that? I use gnus just with my IMAP account at gmx, concurrently with
>> thunderbird, which I sometimes use from a different machine where no
>> gnus is installed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rudiger
>>

> Its a lot faster and you get nnir indexed searching as well as a
> local copy of all your mail and the overhead is very low.

For years I've been using IMAPS without a local server and the speed is
fine... anything "faster" than  my remote connection-- such as a local
server-- wouldn't be noticeable.  Moreover, using the remote server (my
ISP's) allows me to access my email from anywhere in the world where I
can get an internet connection.  Yes, I could do that with a local IMAPS
server... and of course secured and firewalled it... and put those
machines on a UPS and performed regular backups.  But why go through all
that when the ISP (or other organization) does it for free?

The OP just wants to use emacs to get mail from a remote IMAP(S) server.
 Why turn it into a project?  It should take ten minutes, tops, to set
that up... that's all it takes if you use thunderbird for your email
client.  Hopefully, setting up multiple IMAP(S) accounts in emacs will
be that good some day.  Apparently it isn't there yet.  I really wish it
was... believe me, I'd love to use emacs for my email.  Maybe in a few
years a really good, savvy, customer-oriented, and thorough emacs
developer or two will get involved and we'll finally get it.