Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:44:50 +0100

ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:

> On 12/27/2010 03:12 AM Richard Riley wrote:
>> Rud1ger Sch1erz <nospam_tigre@yahoo.es> writes:

>>> Why that? I use gnus just with my IMAP account at gmx, concurrently with
>>> thunderbird, which I sometimes use from a different machine where no
>>> gnus is installed.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Rudiger
>>>

>> Its a lot faster and you get nnir indexed searching as well as a
>> local copy of all your mail and the overhead is very low.
>
> For years I've been using IMAPS without a local server and the speed is
> fine... anything "faster" than  my remote connection-- such as a local
> server-- wouldn't be noticeable.  Moreover, using the remote server
> (my

Possibly for you. Gnus IMAP performance was dismal until recently for
many. (NoGnus is a LOT better).

> ISP's) allows me to access my email from anywhere in the world where I
> can get an internet connection.  Yes, I could do that with a local IMAPS
> server... and of course secured and firewalled it... and put those
> machines on a UPS and performed regular backups.  But why go through all
> that when the ISP (or other organization) does it for free?

So you can access email offline too? have local indexing? As for all the
firewalling etc, erm, are you not over complicating it a little. Simply
dont provide any external login. Or do. For you.

> The OP just wants to use emacs to get mail from a remote IMAP(S) server.
>  Why turn it into a project?  It should take ten minutes, tops, to set

Should? This is Emacs and Gnus ..

> that up... that's all it takes if you use thunderbird for your email

Thunderbird isn't Gnus.

> client.  Hopefully, setting up multiple IMAP(S) accounts in emacs will

Gnus is never a 10 minute tops. My suggestions were merely to inform :
not to complicate. There is currently an initiative going on in no Gnus
to provide simpler set up. Something with the power of Gnus will always
be more complicated with such a simple entry level reader/client as
Thunderbird.

> be that good some day.  Apparently it isn't there yet.  I really wish it
> was... believe me, I'd love to use emacs for my email.  Maybe in a few
> years a really good, savvy, customer-oriented, and thorough emacs
> developer or two will get involved and we'll finally get it.

So let my get this straight? You dont even use Emacs for your email and
you are commenting on performance? I'm a little confused as to why you
think your experience using a different client has any relation to
fetching IMAP with Gnus in Emacs. FWIW, I do agree with you that it
could and should be easier to set up with such common servers as google
provides.