my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs

From: Perry Wagle
Subject: my search/paste idiom not supported in emacs
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 16:39:08 -0800

In xemacs, if I double click on a word, the word is highlighted.  If I then
press control-s for search, and click the middle mouse button *without moving
the mouse*, I will paste that word into the search string, and all is good.

Emacs, on the other hand, does not support this idiom.  For some reason, the
middle mouse button *ABORTS* the search mode, and then pastes the word under
the mouse.  Why would you want that?

This idiom alone has kept me using xemacs for over a decade.  I'd like to
switch to emacs now.

Can I fix this easily with option-setting, or does it require me to hack and
add the correct behavior?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-- Perry