Re: 'Print Buffer' doesn't print

From: Larry Evans
Subject: Re: 'Print Buffer' doesn't print
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 22:43:41 -0600

On 12/30/10 21:31, Larry Evans wrote:
> Selecting 'Print Buffer' under the File menu gives message:
>
>   Spooling...done
>
> however, no printing occurs.  I can print from gedit after
> gedit displays a selection of printer and I select one.
>
> While in emacs, did:
>   M-x emacs-version
> which produced:
>   GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
>    2010-03-29 on yellow, modified by Debian
>
> The lpr command gives error message:
>
>   /usr/bin/lpr: Error - no default destination available.
>
> What should I do to enable printing an emacs buffer?

In ubuntu, there's a System menu which has an Adminstration item.
When that's selected, there's a Printing item. When that's selected,
several printers appear. Clicking on the printer with check mark
with right mouse button showed a number of items, one of which was
'Set As Default'.  Selecting that 'Set As Default' solved the
problem.

Unfortunately, I'd read the lpinfo, the lpoptions, the lpadmin
and searched several news groups for information before trying
this simple answer.  Another case of OIK (Obvious If Known) :(