Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: gnus, thunderbird and imap
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 17:45:00 +0100

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@eku.edu> writes:

Hi Tyler,

> Where do I find NoGnus? Is that just the development version of gnus
> downloaded from the git repo? Is that necessary if I'm already using
> the a developmental bzr version of Emacs (24.0.50.1) which comes with
> Gnus v5.13?

The version that comes with the development version of emacs is
regularly synchronized with the Gnus development repository.  So it's
pretty much the same at this point in time.  In particular, it includes
the new nnimap version.

> No kidding.  Two steps forward, three steps back.  If I don't get this
> running semi-smoothly soon I'll be out of time for this latest
> attempt.

I didn't follow the threads, but maybe you are trying to do too much at
once?  Setting up Gnus for a few imap accounts is pretty easy:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Connecting to an IMAP Server") ]
| Connecting to an IMAP can be very easy.  Type `B' in the group buffer,
| or (if your primary interest is reading email), say something like:
|
|      (setq gnus-select-method
|            '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com"))
|
|    You'll be prompted for a user name and password.  If you grow tired
| of that, then add the following to your `~/.authinfo' file:
|
|      machine imap.gmail.com login <username> password <password> port imap
|
|    That should basically be it for most users.
`----

When that's done, then you might want to configure some posting styles
and parameters:

  (info "(gnus)Posting Styles")
  (info "(gnus)Group Parameters")

Basically, that's all to get a fully functional Gnus for reading mail.

Bye,
Tassilo