RE: pasting text from other program in emacs

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: pasting text from other program in emacs
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 12:20:13 -0800

> Does anybody know how to do to paste text from external
> programs into an emacs window?

Yes, someone does. ;-)

> I am using emacs 23.2.1 and debian Squezze.  Is this a new
> "feature" of emacs 23?

Is what a new feature? pasting text in Emacs copied from outside it?  No.

> is it because of the usage of gtk libraries?

Is what because of that?

> It happens in X and also in the console if I try to
> paste text with gpm.

"It happens."  What happens?

Please provide a step-by-step recipe, starting from emacs -Q.  Include which
keys you hit (in Emacs and outside), what effect you expect, and what effect you
see instead.