Re: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 20:35:53 +0100

Am 01.01.2011 um 00:21 schrieb chengiz:

In gnome-keyboard-properties, under Layout Options -> Alt/Win key
behaviour, I set "Meta is mapped to the Win-keys". This resulted in
the Meta key being mapped to M- but the Alt key is still mapped to M-.
How do I map the Alt key to A-?

I'm not using GNOME.

I'd use xmodmap to change the modifier keys. And I'd use xev to determine the key code or symbol name of the keys to change.

In ~/.xinitrc you then can have:

        xmodmap ${HOME}/.xmodmaprc

and .xmodmaprc can have a little "programme" like this:

        clear Mod1
        clear Mod2
        add    Mod1    = Alt_L       Alt_R
        add    Mod2    = Meta_L      Meta_R

--
Greetings

  Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.