Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 00:23:31 +0100

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

>>> speedbar
>>
>> yeek!
>>
>> Also IDO mode comes with emacs now.
>>
>> ido-find-file
>>

> Yes, unfortunately, emacs does come with ido - personally, I don't!

Unfortunately? It's one of the best things to be added I think. I find
it very, very useful.

> Tried it and found it got in the way as often as it was helpful. Tweaked
> and forced myself to use it for two months and then turned it off - best
> thing I ever did.

What kind of things got in the way? That said, there is ONE things that
niggles me, sometimes when I type a file name it seems to go find it in
another directory. but not always.... A bug I fancy but I cant pinpoint
it.

I couldnt do without the fuzzy matching for example.

> Personally, don't use speedbar either, but some like it and from the OPs
> request, is different enough to dired and find-file such that it may
> actually be of interest to them.

Heh. The variety of opinions ;) To me, speedbar is really and truly
horrible : poor keyboard navigation, dodgy focus, takes up too much
screen real estate. Still, all to their own ;)

cheers

r.