Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 10:52:45 -0800

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Tried it and found it got in the way as often as it was helpful. Tweaked
>> and forced myself to use it for two months and then turned it off - best
>> thing I ever did.
>
> What kind of things got in the way? That said, there is ONE things that
> niggles me, sometimes when I type a file name it seems to go find it in
> another directory. but not always.... A bug I fancy but I cant pinpoint
> it.

I had problems when using with tramp over ssh. Also on systems with
very large number of users, going to some one else's shared folder
posed a huge problem. Emacs would hang as ido attempted to look for
possible completions. I also felt although finding existing files was
easier, creating new ones was very clunky. But then I tried it quite a
while back, and I didn't really try to customise anything.

--
Suvayu