Re: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Alt vs Meta - Sun keyboard, redhat linux
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 23:53:39 +0100

Am 03.01.2011 um 21:25 schrieb chengiz:

Which of these "Mod?"s does emacs use for its Alt modifier? My current
xmodmap already has Alt_L at Mod1. I want emacs to treat this like
Emacs-alt (ie. the rarely used Alt modifier mentioned at
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Windows-Keyboard.html)
rather than Emacs-meta.

Why do you think the Alt and Meta key modifiers have something to do with MS Losedos?

The Meta modifier is the M in, for example, M-x. M-ESC is ESC-ESC. The Meta modifier is accepted by GNU Emacs as the "Meta" modifier.

The Alt modifier can select up to two (two, because with and without Shift pressed) character keyboard layouts. On my keyboard, for example, Alt-a produces å and Alt-S-a Å. The Alt modifier is accepted by GNU Emacs as the "Alt" modifier.

If you want to find out what some "Alt" named key on your keyboard produces, then use xev (best launched from a *shell* buffer in GNU Emacs), give it the focus and press that key. Xev will produce some cryptic output that can be deciphered to some meaning. Similarly proceed with the "Meta" titled key on your keyboard. With the information of the key codes these keys generate when pressed or released, you can reset "key bindings" in X11:

        keycode <whichever> = Alt_R
        keycode <whatever> = Meta_L

Actually my first example was incomplete, because changing the sequence of modifiers does not change their meaning because the keys have also a keysym by which they are understood.

When you write that you have the Alt_L modifier already defined, then find out which key produces this modifier event. Xev can be your friend. Once you've located the Alt_L key on your keyboard, you can use it in GNU Emacs. The xkeycaps utility might be able to have your keyboard layout loaded. Then you'll see graphically what you press.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Ce qui été compris n'existe plus.