Re: ps-print question

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: ps-print question
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 00:43:45 +0100

Am 03.01.2011 um 15:25 schrieb David Penton:

In answer to one of your questions, I cannot send the ps file directly to the printer because I do not have a postscript printer.

CUPS should be able to convert every type of input to the correct output data stream – once the printer driver is correctly installed and all necessary resources are installed as well.

The postscript of the simple example converts to pdf which DOES contain the backquote. When I print out this pdf, the backquote prints correctly, as I wish.

The postscript generated by ps-print does NOT show up as a backquote, either on the screen or when printed.

Interestingly in doc-view-mode the not visible ` in the PDF file is rendered in the PNG output as ` – which seems to second my assumption about character mapping. But it does not explain why one PS source produces the correct PDF output...

Of course the two pdfs are different. But the reason for the difference obviously lies in the postscript files used to create the pdfs.

Yes, something in the PS file might trigger the insertion of a CMap into the PDF output.

Dave, let's try this: you launch Emacs with -Q and create a bug report about ps-print that you send to GNU Emacs developers (and maybe why only gs is able to convert the PS output to PDF or something else). And I'll try to report the gs bug. OK?

BTW, I had no success in preserving the backquote or backtick!

--
Greetings

  Pete

Time flies like an error – but fruit flies like a banana!
                                - (almost) Groucho Marx