Re: How to improve the readability of (any) LISP or any highlevel functi

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: How to improve the readability of (any) LISP or any highlevel functional language to the level of FORTH ?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 10:00:39 +0000

On 2011-01-04 08:02:35 +0000, Tim Harig said:

        LISP users on the other hand, never seem to be able to let
        go of LISP when the situation requires it.

I think this probably is not the case. It may be the case that the Lisp users *you hear from* often have this view, but I don't think those people are necessarily very representative of Lisp users as a whole. Of course I can't really infer much about the ones you don't hear from other than in a sort of dark-energy way - implementors are probably the only people who might have a chance of knowing about them in any reliable way.

For instance, I've been berated by the users you hear from for saying I write (and like writing) Perl and (but not like very much) Java. I don't think that makes me an atypical Lisp user, I just think it makes me one of the few who are in the subset of Lisp users that you hear from and who will admit to using other langages.