Re: pasting text from other program in emacs

From: Jonathan Groll
Subject: Re: pasting text from other program in emacs
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 22:51:34 +0200

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 15:27:38 +0100, Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> writes:
>
> > Javier <javier@nospam.com> writes:
> >
> >> Does anybody know how to do to paste text from external programs
> >> into an emacs window?  I am using emacs 23.2.1 and debian Squeeze.
> >
> > $ apt-get remove emacs23-gtk
> > $ apt-get install emacs23-lucid
>
> This seems very strange advice. How does this solve the problem better
> than the documented emacs clipboard variables?

This has been a very long thread and I may have forgotten now, but I
think the original poster had problems only with copy/paste in `emacs
-nw`.

Hence, emacs22-nox which may be optimised for terminal copy/paste.
Like most of us here I use graphical Emacs though.

In any case, I've been doing some reading tonight and found this
interesting link:

http://shreevatsa.wordpress.com/2006/10/22/emacs-copypaste-and-x/

Which leads to this:
http://hugoheden.wordpress.com/2009/03/08/copypaste-with-emacs-in-terminal/

The provided code makes use of xsel to set the X selection for
terminal based Emacs.

And, this seems to have been covered here before as the code in the
last article has a credit "to Nikolaj Schumacher and Miles Bader on
the help-gnu-emacs mailing list".

Cheers,
Jonathan
--