Re: How to improve the readability of (any) LISP or any highlevel functi

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: How to improve the readability of (any) LISP or any highlevel functional language to the level of FORTH ?
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:52:46 +0000

On 2011-01-04 23:32:23 +0000, Tim X said:

I would add that it is a mistake to judge a community of users based on
a single forum. For example, many have complained about comp.lang.lisp
and it is often viewed as being the lisp community. In reality, it is
only a very small representation of lisp users from a single forum.
There are many other lisp forums with varying levels of acceptance,
hostility, dogma, experience, cynicism etc.

I think it's almost universally a mistake to judge anything by usenet news, not just CLL. Newsgroups have always been odd and fierce places, and (without evidence) I think usenet must be close to dead as a discussion forum (as opposed to a media distribution mechanism where it seems to be thriving).