Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser

From: suvayu ali
Subject: Re: elisp: Text-based file-chooser
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 15:11:34 -0800

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Larry Kohlman <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> Exactly.

>>> I want a file-browsing dialog box, but I want it to be text-mode so it
>>> can be used on a raw terminal or inside an xterm.
>>
>> Dunno what such an animal is or how you get it.  By "dialog box" I meant
>> a graphic dialog box, not available from a terminal.
>
> Dialog boxes don't have to be graphical. In fact Linux has an old
> utility called "dialog" that's used by scripts to put up different kinds
> of dialog boxes on a purely text console.

I haven't followed the discussion very closely, but looks like all you
want is a way to browse a directory tree and select file names (or
file paths) and use it later.

If that is what you want why not give dired another look with `(put
'dired-find-alternate-file 'disabled nil)' to browse and to copy file
names use `w', to copy the full path `0 w' (C-h f
dired-copy-filename-as-kill RET)?

--
Suvayu