Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 14:49:41 +0100

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm no eclipse fan but I dont recall it being slow in anything other
>> than start up : typical for a Java app but on a modern machine the
>> facilities it brings to programming with complex class hierarchies
>> certainly offsets that. Emacs cant come close to it for many commonplace
>> requirements these days (I wont list them again and am aware most Emacs
>> users, myself included,  dont really need or want these things).
>
> Indeed.  The problem might not be eclipse, but the need for eclipse.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/fc76ebab1cb2f863

It's frequently the case that people who dont have something spend a lot
of time explaining why they think they dont need it or, and worse,
telling others why they dont need something. Only later when they get it
do they realise they had been slightly intransigent and possibly even
closed minded : I know I pooh poohed eclipse for ages until I saw what
it could do. It's always worth considering why something exists :
invariably because people wanted and needed it.

All that said, as I mentioned before, the benefits of Emacs overrides
the benefits of Eclipse in most cases - for me. And thats because I live
in org-mode and gnus pretty much. And erc... and ....