Question about subdirs.el

From: Steven W. Orr
Subject: Question about subdirs.el
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:32:12 -0500

I just noticed that my load-path was *HUGE* and contained every subdirectory of $HOME. I always start emacs from $HOME and I had at the head of my EMACSLOADPATH. When I took . off of EMACSLOADPATH the extra values in load-path went away. But! I did not have a subdirs.el in my HOME. The only subdirs.el I found were in site-lisp and lisp dirs. Does anyone understand why all those directories got loaded up?

Also, I saw from the docs that the directories in EMACSLOADPATH are supposed to be suffixed with a slash to distinguish between entries which are files versus entries which are directories. I just added the slashes but I see no difference. I am running under linux.

TIA

steveo at syslang.net