RE: How to open two or more scratch buffers ?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to open two or more scratch buffers ?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:18:11 -0800

> (1) I want to compare two or three files (compare-windows) but I dont
> want to save them in files,

Then you want to compare not files but buffers, no?

> only as scratch buffers.

Do you mean buffer `*scratch*' or just throw-away buffers?

You can open any buffers you want, using `C-x b'.  The buffer need not exist
first.

> C-x 2 replicates the same buffer in two different windows.

Then you are not comparing buffers or files, but the contents of windows
(`compare-windows', as you mentioned).

Consider using different, throw-away buffers, and using `ediff-compare-buffers'.

> Suppose the above is solved, then how to have a nice key binding if
> there is no pre-existing one as I dont want to deviate from the normal
> defaults, but only on these few occasions.

Personally, I use these bindings:

C-= b  ediff-buffers
C-= d  diff
C-= e  ediff-files